About the Co-op
The Woods Hole Day Care Cooperative was founded in 1980 by a group of working parents from the Woods Hole area who sought to establish a local daycare for toddlers and preschoolers (21 months – 5 years). In 1991, the WHDCC Summer Camp was begun to offer continuity of staff and programming throughout the year to children aged 2 through 5 years. A Preschool – School Age Group, boosting the age limit to 8 years old, was added in the fall of 2007. That program was closed a few years later due to our Preschool group growing leaving little room for school age children.
Our main objective is to provide the children with a safe, happy, and organized environment where opportunities for growth and development may occur. The staff works with each family to ensure a peaceful transition from home to school. A balance of play activities - structured or unstructured, informative or creative, active or quiet, observing or participating, alone or together, indoor or out - are provided by the staff that will enhance the child's self-image and encourage a natural curiosity to explore and discover the world. The program stresses three areas of learning: formal planned curriculum, teachable moments, and life skills. The planned curriculum includes shapes, colors, animals, seasons, holidays, and much more. Teachable moments provide opportunities for growth in social and problem-solving skills. Development of life skills fosters the growth of independence and a positive self-image. In the summer months we explore our neighborhood. The school continually seeks parental suggestions for curriculum growth and development in accordance with guidelines established by the State.
The Co-op is licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (EEC). Dept. of EEC, 1 Washington St. Ste 20, Taunton, MA 02780. (508) 828-5025. Parents may contact EEC for information regarding the program's regulatory compliance history. The regulations are available to you on line at www.eec.state.ma.us/.
Typical days at the Co-op include:
- Structured and Freechoice Playtime
- Nutritious snacks twice daily
- Activities including:
- Arts and Crafts
- Cooking and Baking
- Story Time
- Music, Movement and Dance
- Nature Walks
- Theme Projects
- Outside Play
- Rest Time
Throughout the year we plan special extracurricular activities to enrich the children’s experience. Such events include:
- Music enrichment with Lynne Levy, “Ms. Lynne”
- Toddler and Preschool Spanish instruction with Maria Pechuk, "Ms. Maria"
- Mother Goose on the Loose program with Amy Sellers, "Ms. Amy"
- Science Enrichment Program – elements,etc. with Lynne Belfiore, "Ms Lynne"
- Bi-weekly visits to the Woods Hole Library, including Story Time
- Presentations by the Thornton Burgess Society and Heritage Plantation
- Fall and spring field trips to local farms
- Annual school pictures
- Neighborhood visits to: playgrounds, fire station, police station, restaurants, aquarium, post office, banks, and etc.